Since 2000, the Florence Tennis association has held over 100 recreational, high school, and state tournaments and provided funding and volunteer support for over 100 more held by the City and area tennis professionals, including professional and college tournaments—putting Florence on the Southern tennis map and bringing in annual tourism revenues totaling over $2,500,000 for FTA events and at least $1,000,000 for FTA-supported events.
In addition, the FTA manages adult and youth recreational leagues for area residents. We have staged dozens of free and low-cost clinics, summer programs, and events for adults and children, with an emphasis on people not traditionally involved in tennis.
All together, the FTA has brought in over $300,000 in grants for programs for at-risk youth, Hispanic youth, adult and youth beginners, and facilities maintenance.
The FTA continues to have a positive influence in the community by:
- Supporting area charities by providing management expertise and volunteers for the annual McLeod for Health professional tournament, and by conducting the Polar Bear tournament to collect new Christmas toys for the Salvation Army.
- Providing youth activities for civic events, including the Spirit of Florence, the Kids’ Jamboree, and the Pecan Festival.
- Palying a significant role in major projects, including the resurfacing of Timrod and Ebenezer Park courts and the construction of the Florence Tennis Center.
- Advocating for increasing diversity in tennis leadership and participation.
- Working closely with area businesses to give them great PR and marketing opportunities.