Why Join the Spearfish Tennis Association, Inc.?
Your dues are multiplied THOUSANDS OF TIMES every time we receive a grant or convince the city or school district to make an improvement to tennis facilities in Spearfish.
- Family $20
- Single $15
- Youth $10 - high school age and under
If you are a recreational tennis player, joining the Spearfish Tennis Association, Inc. is one of the major ways you support your own recreation. Your dues and your name on our membership list support things like the following:
- 2006 - The new tennis court complex at the high school came about because the STA lobbied the school board and city for several years. The STA was the driving force that secured a $60,000.00 grant from the USTA/NPRA that helped fund court construction;
- 2009 - The STA applied for and received a $7,500.00 USTA Recreational Tennis Grant. This grant has allowed the STA to provide Winter Clinics/Lessons, which we built into a self-supporting program that has helped hundreds of young people learn the game;
- 2016 - The STA with the help of a private donor convinced the school district and city to provide additional financing to resurface and make other improvements to the Middle School complex. The STA then applied for and received grants from the USTA and USTA Northern to complete the $37,000 project. This has increased the teaching of tennis in PE classes while allowing recreational players to continue playing if the High School courts are being used.
- 2019 - The STA contributed half the cost of six new nets on the high school courts, with the school district contributing the remainder. with the help of the school district purchased 6 new tennis nets for the high school tennis courts.
- The STA has worked to secure tennis time at the Young Center in the face of increasing pressure from other activities; our access to indoor courts will continue only through unified and organized representation;
- The STA provides general maintenance for the tennis facilities: rolling windscreens up and down, keeping courts in playable condition. We also work as a liaison between city and school on projects, maintain ball machines and offer their use to members, and work on long-range planning to ensure that facilities meet the future needs of the community.
- Future projects are:
- Resurfacing high school courts
- Restrooms at high school courts
- Lights on North set of high school courts
- Backboard at middle school courts
- The STA is organizing a “Tennis Social Night” that will allow tennis players to just “show up” and play tennis in a relaxed, recreational atmosphere once a week;
- Varsity tennis for boys and girls is growing in Spearfish; the STA supports a successful varsity program in the schools;
- The STA is linked to the USTA, which allows us to bring USTA programming to the schools and community;
- Middle school developmental tennis program for boys and girls in grades 6-8; the STA offers this program in spring and fall;
- Spring Play Day held in the first part of June to kick off the summer tennis season;
- Fall Festival held in October to celebrate the end of outdoor season and the start of indoor. This is when we roll up the windscreens
- Sanctioned USTA Youth Tournament; the STA hosts a summer tournament;
- The STA has been able to secure time in the BHSU Young Center for open tennis during the winter months
- The STA offers winter lessons for Kid's ages 6-11 at the Speearfish Rec. & Aquatics Center and a Junior Clinic for middle and high school students at the BHSU Young Center;
- The STA supports the Summer Recreation programming, which introduces young people to the game;
- In the future, the STA may begin more organized activities, such as leagues and tournaments, for members who want them.
Your dues support programming that allows you to play more frequently and with more people, and that introduces the game to young people and encourages them to play. This ensures that we continue to have improved tennis facilities in the future.